The building, whose frame is very imposing, rests on 56 octagonal pillars. They were built in 1580 at the request of the Marquis Saint Georges de Verac. They have known 36 owners and, on March 30, 1955, they were acquired by the municipality of Couhé.
During the Second World War, the central part was modified, which was much lower: the Germans raised the ground at the level of the aisles to store cannons. In 1977, the whole building was enhanced by the demolition of the houses that surrounded it, the creation of a square and the repair of the roof. The halls have been renovated using local materials, only the stone paving and side aisles are original. Les Halles is one of the most emblematic monuments of the city of Couhé, place of weekly market and entertainment in summer.