The Market Halls
The current market halls in Lusignan, built in 1853 by the architects Lhéritier and Rose on the site of the medieval market hall, occupy a vast rectangular space 33 m by 16 m in the town’s historical district.
Comprising a central hall and two side constructions, they are one of the last surviving examples of covered market halls constructed using the traditional method. Heavy stone pillars are set at the corners. The front and rear entrances are fronted by columns with carved capitals that form a whole with the pillars; each side of the stone upright is decorated with a rosette. The roof, supported by a magnificent inlaid-timber frame, is roofed with traditional local tiles. The central section of the roof rises over a slatted timber wall which provides ventilation and light. Inside, two rows of eight timber posts on stone pedestals divide the space into three bays of aisles. Listed as a Historical Monument in 1990. The roof frame was restored in 1994.
This treasured part of Lusignan’s civic heritage regularly hosts public cultural events.