Church of Notre Dame and Saint Junien
Hugh IV of Lusignan founded his church in honour of Our Lady in 1025. At the request of Count William the Great of Poitou, the then king of France, Robert the Pious, allowed the church to receive donations exempt from the lord's taxes. The pope placed the church under his protection following a request from Hugh and the Bishop of Poitiers. From the first church finished at the beginning of the 12th century, the nave walls and northern wing of the transept still remain. In those days, it was just as imposing as we see it today thanks to the great noble founding family, the Lusignans. This family appeared in the 10th century, building a fortified château, and becoming an important family in the Poitou County. In the 12th century, King Guy of Jerusalem founded the kingdom of Cyprus with Amauri. Members of the Lusignan family also sat on the throne of Little Armenia until its fall in 1375. The priory also explains the importance of the church since it belonged to the abbey in Nouaillé-Maupertuis situated to the North of the church (the presbytery today). The monks passed by it as they entered the church through a beautiful door from the beginning of the 12th century door in front of the priory. The crypt beneath the chancel and the North 'bestiary' doorway also date back to the 12th century.
To see as well: the historical centre of Lusignan, the Blossac walk, the ruins of the château, the ancient houses and covered market.
Nearby : Sanxay Gallo-Roman site and Jazeneuil's Romanesque Church.